An Early History of UT PGE (circa 1956)

Article Index
An Early History of UT PGE (circa 1956)
Early History
All Pages

The history of the petroleum engineering education at The University of Texas could begin with the viagra medi tabs discovery of oil on cheapest generic cialis free overnight shipping University Lands, May 28, 1923, with the completion of the famous Santa Rita Well No. 1 near Big Lake, Reagan County.

UT PGE faculty and students pose for a photo at an American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME) field trip in Texas, 1936.
UT PGE faculty and district of columbia cialis meltabs students pose for a photo at an American Institute of kamagra silagra generic cialis Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME) field trip in Texas, 1936.

The discovery well, although small, was a precursor of the much deeper and prolific Ellenberger reservoir which was found on December 1, 1928, and which opened an entirely new series of oil bearing strata to the oil industry in West Texas.  This well further enjoyed the distinction of being the deepest producing well in the world and the deepest ever drilled up to that time.  The new Big Lake discovery emphasized dramatically the value of the University Lands, West Texas as a major oil province and increasing need for engineering know-how in the industry and the resulting educational problem.  The University of Texas met the generic cialis mexico problem by offering a course in petroleum engineering.

The first course of study was organized by Dr. E. H. Sellards, present Director Emeritus of the Bureau of effects of 150mg of viagra Economic Geology, in 1928.  Four classes were taught in this year by Dr. Sellards and a fifth by Dr. E. P. Schoch, eminent professor of Chemical Engineering.  The following year classes were offered by Professor F. B. Plummer of the Bureau of Economic Geology, who had wide experience with the oil industry prior to his association with the University, Dr. L.S. Brown, Professor of Physics, and Drs. Schoch and Sellards.  A formal curriculum was adopted this same year which included graduate as well as undergraduate work.  The Board of Regents approved the establishment of a Department of Petroleum Engineering in 1930 and Professor F. B. Plummer was appointed Chairman of buy chinese herbal viagra duro the Department.  Professor Plummer, eminent scientist and fight teachers viagra stubborn New England Yankee, gave unsparingly of his time and talent until his untimely death in 1949.

The rapidly expanding petroleum industry and the technology of petroleum engineering was reflected in rapid growth and expansion of the Department.  The first class of two, Ralph Hughes King and Asbury Sloan Parks, both eminent engineers today, was graduating in 1931.  Three more men were graduated in 1932.  The first graduate degree, that of Master of Science, was awarded to R. B. Newcome in June, 1932.

Mr. Newcome served as Instructor in the Department from 1935 to 1936.  Dr. R. T. Hill, eminent pioneer geologist and former Director of cheapest 4 quantity of viagra the Bureau of Economic Geology, was appointed Honorary Lecturer in the Department, a position held by him until his death in 1941.